The Honeoye Falls - Town of Mendon Historical Society is dedicated to the preservation of local history and the education of the community. The Society operates a museum located at One Harry Allen Park, which is open to the public Sunday afternoons from 2 to 4.
Both the museum and one-room schoolhouse (pictured above) provide educational programs to first and fourth grade classes from the HF-L School District as well as other local districts. The Society conducts eight educational meetings, held at the Mendon Community Center, each year (open to the public) and co-sponsors the annual Festival-on-the-Green. The Society also sponsors an annual Christmas social at the schoolhouse.
The Society was chartered by the New York State Education Department on July 28, 1961 and is classified by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) public charity. Donations to the Society are tax-deductible.
For a complete listing of our 2018 programs, please view our 2018 Program and Membership Brochure as a downloadable and printable PDF.
The 2018 President's Letter is also available for download.
The May 3, 2018 meeting of the Honeoye Falls - Town of Mendon Historical Society will feature Dan Cody. The topic of Michael's talk will be "The Cunningham Corporation".
Dan is a life-long resident of Rochester. He is the Collection Manager / Registrar of the Rochester Historical Society. He also teaches History at the Finger Lakes Community College.
The James Cunningham Son and Company was founded in 1838. It initially manufactured horse-drawn coaches and hearses. The company went on to develop and produce high-end automobiles beginning in 1908. The company was one of the first American companies to produce a V-8 engine. Over the years, the company produced a number of products including carriages, hearses, automobiles, airplanes and ambulances.
After WWII, the company fell on hard times. Their fortunes reversed when a Stromberg-Carlson engineer approached them with a design for a novel electro-mechanical switch, commonly known as a crossbar switch. The switch allowed high-speed connections between telephone lines, thus eliminating the need for an operator to manually make such a connection. The new switch was put into production. In addition to the switches, Cunningham also built the cases and equipment racks to hold them. Sales increased to the point where a new factory was required. A new facility was constructed in Honeoye Falls (on Carriage Street!) in 1961.
Cunningham crossbars were used by telecommunication firms, broadcasters, automatic machine tool manufacturers and in airplane and aerospace control systems. Ironically, the crossbar switch was used in many early computer systems, the very devices that would make it obsolete.
The meeting will be held at 7:30 PM on Thursday, May 3rd at the Mendon Community Center, 167 North Main Street, Honeoye Falls. This facility is handicapped accessible. The meeting is open to the public. For information call 624-5655.
The museum is located in an historical building - namely the carriage barn of the Wilcox House, an early hotel at the four corners of Honeoye Falls. The museum has an excellent display of Indian artifacts dating from the Lomoka Period (2500 BC) through the Iroquois Period when the Seneca inhabited this area. Pioneer days of Honeoye Falls through the present day are well documented depicting the lifestyles of the times since 1791.
1 Allen Park Dr.
Honeoye Falls, NY 14472
Open Sundays, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM. Open other times by appointment.
P.O. Box 26
Honeoye Falls, NY 14472